This came out of a discussion between me, my co-teacher, and my student teacher…while watching “Dirty Jobs” today (hey, it’s testing week and their brains are fried) we were discussing hot male science types, much to the chagrin of the students. Anyway, we came up with at least 3 hot men in science or pseudo-science related jobs (aka TV) and I joked that I should put it on my blog….ta-da!
So, on to it. The first “Hot Man of Science” comes from the suggestion of my friend and co-teacher, and is Bill Nye!
(Remember, in case you are rolling your eyes right now, that part of being a Hot Man of Science involves smartness- I personally think Bill’s a little scrawny, but to each her own.)
Bill Nye is perhaps most famous for his TV show, “Bill Nye the Science Guy.” Here’s a clip from the Evolution episode of his show:
He’s also done some other shows aimed more at older students (and their teachers who are highly annoyed by his propensity to repeat things 3 times in a row, in a successively louder voice each time), but my students always want to watch the “old-school” stuff. Classic Nye, if you will.
Here’s a quote: “The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities there are to laugh at it.” (interview with Wired.com in April 2005)
He’s also a pretty funny guy. I think it comes through in his videos and also a little in this interview:
Random Bill Nye Facts: (mostly from Wikipedia, rest from my mad Google skillz)
- He attended the Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC.
- He is an occasional guest star on “Numb3rs”.
- He holds several patents.
- He has been the subject of a parody in The Onion.
- He loves and plays baseball, and has been rumored to be a Washington Nationals fan.
- There’s a rumor in the science-teacher crowd that his ex-wife tried to poison him. This article is the closest thing I could come up with. Either way, she clearly did not appreciate him.
So, there it is- the first in the occasional “Hot Man of Science” series. I already have 2 more lined up, unfortunately- that uses up all the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Suggestions are welcome!